|[ Education ]|
Finding the Best School
In California, several school districts enjoy a reputation for academic excellence. In Silicon Valley, schools in the Palo Alto and Cupertino school districts consistently score highly on standardized tests. In Orange County, Los Alamitos and Irvine schools carry that distinction. In Los Angeles, Arcadia and Palos Verdes schools rank highly. Other than by word-of-mouth, how can a parent tell whether their child's school is up to par? Or, if you are looking to move, how can you tell whether you are moving into a neighborhood with good schools?
Fortunately, all this information may be found on the Internet. Some sites only provide report cards or test scores for individual schools. Other sites provide district or county level reports which make it easier to compare nearby schools. Another source of information is from the school or school district itself.
If you are considering moving to a school district with only a few good schools, make sure you first review the school district map to see which school your child will be assigned. You may notice that schools on different sides of a street may differ significantly in value. That may be because children from the more expensive house are assigned to a better performing school and children from the less expensive house are assigned to the lesser performing school.
- SchoolResults.org - School Information Partnership (SIP) Provides national school results from No Child Left Behind (NCLB) data.
- Standard & Poor's School Evaluation Services Offers school, district and state information, as well as school comparison tools.
- Alabama State Department of Education Accountability Reporting System Features accountability documents and reports.
- EED - Assessment, Accountability and Student Information Features assessment results. From the Department of Education & Early Development (EED).
- EED - Report Card to the Public Features summary statistics for individual schools. From the Department of Education & Early Development (EED).
- Arizona School Report Cards Includes school district and state report cards.
- Arkansas School Information Site Features educational indicators and report cards.
- Standardized Testing and Reporting (STAR) Results Features STAR test results by school, district, county and state.
- Academic Performance Index (API) Reports and Data Files Reports by school, district and county.
- Colorado School Accountability Reports Features information on individual schools, including academic performance, CSAP results, safety and discipline incidents and more.
- Connecticut Academic Performance Test (CAPT) Features performance results.
- Connecticut Mastery Test (CMT) Features performance results.
- School Profiles Features district and school reports.
- Student Data Features data on student demographics, displinary offenses, enrollment, and graduation rates.
- Reports for Delaware Education Features state report cards, enrollment reports and dropout statistics.
- Delaware Student Testing Program - On-Line Reports (DSTP-OR) Features district and school summaries.
- Florida Comprehensive Assessment Test (FCAT) District/State Reports Features district and school reports.
- Governor's Office of Student Achievement Features annual reports on student achievement, school reports, school system reports, Office of School Readiness (OSR) reports and more.
- Accountability Resource Center Hawaii (ARCH) Provides education assessment and accountability information, including No Child Left Behind Reports.
- Find mySchool Features graduation rates and performance indicators.
- Idaho State Department of Education Statistics Features Idaho Standards Achievement Test (ISAT) data, Adequate Yearly Progress (AYP) school report information, Idaho performance data, school report cards, school district profiles and more.
- Illinois State Assessment Features results from the Illinois Standards Achievement Test (ISAT), Prairie State Achievement Examination (PSAE), and more.
- Accountability System for Academic Progress (ASAP) School Data Provides informational, demographic and achievement data.
- School Profiles Provides information on student achieve by district and school.
- Kansas State Department of Education Features accountability, assessments and school reports.
- Reports Features CTBS/5, performance and No Child Left Behind (NCLB) reports.
- Louisiana Department of Education - Testing Offers test results for LEAP 21, GEE 21 and the Iowa Tests.
- Maine School Profiles Features organizational information, background data, educational resources, test scores and graduation rates.
- Maryland Report Card Features student performance, attendance, and graduation rate data.
- Directory Profiles Features school profiles and the state report card.
- Massachusetts Comprehensive Assessment System (MCAS) Results Features school and districct results.
- MI School Info Online Includes awards MEAP/HST scores and more.
- Michigan Educational Assessment Program (MEAP) Summary Reports Features statewide results and demographic reports.
- Minnesota School and District Information/Analysis Features test results, adequate yearly progress (AYP) status, the state report card and demographic information.
- Minnesota Department of Education (MDE) Data Center Features school district information and school district boundary maps.
- Office of Research and Statistics Features test scores and report cards.
- Division of School Improvement - Student Assessment Features test results by state and district.
- School Improvement Planning Profiles Features educational statistics
- Montana's NCLB Web Report Card Provides information on student academic performance, adequate yearly progress (AYP) status and more.
- OPI Data and Reports for Download Features student assessment, dropout/graduate data and enrollment data.
- State of the Schools Report Features state, district and school reports.
- Nevada State Testing and Assessment
- NH School District Profile Offers assessment, enrollment, graduation and safety reports.
- New Jersey State Report Card Features No Child Left Behind (NCLB) school, district and state reports.
- Accountability Resources Features annual dropout, safety, and quality of education reports.
- District Reports-Data Collection Unit Features enrollment and student demographics data.
- New York State School Report Card
- Reports and Statistics Includes student testing results.
- North Carolina School Report Cards Features reports on enrollment, student performance, safety and teachers.
- School District Profiles Features state profile and adequate yearly progress (AYP) reports.
- Testing and Assessment Provides assessment data from student testing.
- Ohio Department of Education - Local Report Cards Features state, district and school local report cards, as well as school district ratings.
- Oklahoma School Report Cards Features state, district, and school report cards.
- Oregon Statewide Assessment Results Provides performance and demographics reports by school.
- Pennsylvania State, District and School Report Cards Features the state report card.
- Pennsylvania System of School Assessment (PSSA) Results Features PSSA test results.
- Pennsylvania School Profiles Provides assessment results and school details.
- Report Cards Features school and district report cards with test results and perforamnce rankings.
- Reports and Publications Features school and district report cards.
- No Child Left Behind (NCLB) Report Card Features reports on assessment results, attendance/graduation rates, school status and teacher qualifications.
- Statistics and Reports Features school report cards, annual reports and annual statistical reports.
- Texas Student Assessment Results Features Texas Assessment of Knowledge and Skills (TAKS), State-Developed Alternative Assessment (SDAA), Reading Proficiency Tests in English (RPTE), Texas Assessment of Academic Skills (TAAS) and End-of-Course (EOC) results.
- Utah Performance and Assessment System for Students Features No Child Left Behind (NCLB) reports, as well as school performance reports.
- Assessment - State and National Data Features student performance results on state assessments, SAT and AP reports, and more.
- Virginia Department of Education - Data and Publications Features student enrollment and safety data.
- Virginia School Report Card Provides information on student achievement, accreditation and more.
- Washington State Report Card Provides reports on student demographics and test results.
- West Virginia Report Cards Provides school, county and state data on student achievement, attendance, class size and more.
- Educational Assessment in Wisconsin Features student assessment test results.
- Wisconsin Sucessful School Guide Provides school and district data on student performance, attendance and demographics.
- Wyoming Comprehensive Assessment System (WyCAS) Provides state-level test results.
- Wyoming Department of Education - Data & Technology Provides report cards and school district profiles with information on school resources, staffing and student achievement.